TV Guide has released a totally updated and overhauled version of their iOS app TV Guide Mobile. The update comes as part of a major shift in how the app is designed to be used, with “dozens of cool new features, based on the feedback of our 7 million users.”
The big new feature is The Watchlist, which went on to TV Guide’s website a year ago. It allows users to track shows and stars; links out content on iTunes, HBO Go and Hulu Plus; keep track of which episodes they’ve seen and haven’t; and there’s discussion of adding second-stream content to the app.
While the changes are substantial, the current version of the app is only rated 2.5 stars on iTunes. People seem to be writing nice reviews for it, but for the majority who are just tapping how many stars they think the app rates seem less than impressed.
Here’s the totality of what’s new:
* Completely redesigned with dozens of cool new features, based on the feedback of our 7 million users.
* Makes TV simple again: Your one-stop, 24/7 TV companion for watching anytime, anywhere.
• Watchlist – your super-personalized TV Guide: Organize your favorite shows, sports teams, movies, and actors and find where you can watch them – on TV, on demand, streaming and DVD.
• Video: Link to watch TV and movies instantly on ABC, ABC Family, CW, Hulu Plus, HBO Go, MAX Go, Crackle and iTunes. Watch now, anywhere, anytime.
• New Tonight: What’s new in prime time with three handy filters:
1. All new shows
2. Trending – a social hot list based on what TV Guide users are watching
3. Watchlist – only your favorite shows
• Listings: Detailed info about every airing with the ability to:
1. Set up alerts and never miss a live airing
2. Easily personalize your Watchlist
3. Filter by HD-only and favorite channels
4. Check-in and share what you’re watching with your friends on Facebook, Twitter and more
• Exclusive content: The best in breaking news, features, videos and photos, curated by TV Guide’s editors
• News Watchlist filter: Get news customized just for you
• One account: TVGuide.com users can enjoy the convenience of one linked account forTVGuide.com and TV Guide for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. Set up individual accounts for every member of your family.
• We’ve optimized our app for iOS 5 and above. Users with iOS 4.x can continue using TV Guide Mobile 2.2.1 and below.