Next month, everythingiCafe (formerly everythingiPhone), will celebrate our fifth anniversary. Call us crazy, but we started the site in May of 2006 with the hope that Apple would one day announce a phone. That day came in January of 2007 and ever since then, we’ve been a bustling iPhone community with a membership of over 126,000 members. For the past seven months or so, we’ve been working on creating an entirely new forum experience for readers and members alike (Not a member, join today). Today we’re pleased to announce the new everythingiCafe forums.
What’s So Different?
- Clean, minimal design that’s completely ad-free for members. Zero clutter, zero ads. Less of what you don’t like about forums and more of what you do like.
- Removing ads and clutter results in a faster, more fluid experience.
- Our new forums offer a new like feature, similar to what you’d find on Facebook. It’s built-in to our forums, so don’t worry if you are not on Facebook. It’s a great way to acknowledge a post that you “like”. The member who created the original post is notified that you liked their post.
- Have you ever browsed a forum and came across a member that you found interesting? The new site offers members the ability to “follow” other members. This automatically creates a personalized news feed, so you can keep track of posts or status updates of other members. Your feed is unique and personalized based on who you follow.
- A new Alerts system makes it easy to see if someone has replied to a topic of interest or if someone has liked one of your posts.
- User ranks are now based upon an assortment of criteria and not only post count. For example, when a member has posts that have been liked 25 times, they receive 10 points. If you see a member with a Genius ranking, it’s because they are both active and helpful.
- Photo sharing made easy complete with a beautiful slideshow interface. Members love to share photos and we’ve made it easier. You can display your photos in thumbnails, full images or a combination of both. Members can click on any photo to create a lightbox pop-up.
- New social options throughout allow readers to share on both Twitter and Facebook. Let your friends know about your post and encourage them to take part in the conversation.
- A new status update option allows other readers to see “what’s happening” with you. Your status update will be viewable if someone clicks on your picture and in the Status Update feed on the forum homepage. Members who follow you, will also see your updates in their Personalized News Feed.
iPhone and iPad App Support
Version 1.5 of the everythingiCafe app supports many of the new features and offers native support for the iPad. The application is available for download from the App Store at the affordable price of free. As with our site, the app is ad-free for members. Login and you will not see a single ad. Zip. Zilch. Nada.
What Are They Saying
Here’s what our members are saying.
“I know I’m a little excited, but when I went on the site this morning I was soo happy. It looked so good and was easy to use.”
“Wow, this looks fantastic!”
“This is by far the slickest forum I am a member of. Thanks for the clean ad-free site EIC!”
“This is first rate. Thank you for all your hard work making this site even better than I could imagine.”
“You did an awesome job with the iCafe app and forum update. I love it!”
“Wow! All I can say is very nice! I’m loving the new layout!”
“WOW! I’m speechless! Besides being the best Forum and Community ever for iPhone and Apple news and discussions as well as help, now, it is THE BEST LOOKING AND FUNCTIONING FORUM EVER with a KICK ASS APP to boot!!”
“…with this iPad app, my laptop will be collecting even more dust.”
“Yes, AWESOME update!”
“I keep jumping from the eiC app, to the web site…can’t decide which one I like more.”
“I love love love love the new icon, don’t change it ever again!!”
We’re not done, not by a longshot. Expect improvements in both the site and the app. If you have questions, suggestions or comments, we’d love to hear from you.