To celebrate their announcement of all new Slingboxes, SlingMedia is offering both their iPhone and iPad apps at half off. The iPhone app is not universal, thus requiring a Slingbox owner to purchase both apps if they want to view TV on both their iPhone or iPad. When you combine the price of hardware, plus apps for each iOS device, it can be a pricey solution. That being said, if you do own a Slingbox, this half off deal is one that you will not want to pass up.
Version 3.0 of the SlingPlayer for iPhone app was released today. While it offers a host of new features, it’s unclear if that includes support for the iPhone 5.
- Project photos from your SlingPlayer onto a TV connected to your Slingbox 500
- Improved SQ picture quality with the Slingbox 350 or Slingbox 500
- Set reminders in the program guide by double-tapping future program listings
- Aspect zoom for both 16:9 and 4:3
- Redesigned user interface
- Due to an issue with iOS 6, HQ and Auto place-shifting are currently disabled with the Slingbox SOLO; this issue will be fixed by the end of October. In the meantime, please use SQ for place-shifting.
The two new products available are the Slingbox 500 and Slingbox 350. Both offer full 1080p HD, component in/out and an improved set-up. The Slingbox 500 offers support for HDMI in/out, built-in Wi-Fi, Video Out/TV interface, Remote Control Unit, Remove Viewing of Local Digital Content, Personal Media Viewing on TV and SlingSync.
The Slingbox 350 retails for $179, with the Slingbox 500 being priced at $299. Both will be available for purchase on October 14th.