When we wrapped up our best iPhone app for Twitter roundup, the official app was on the sidelines looking in, due to the lack of robust features. As a free app, it performs admirably and it might be the best for those users just getting started with Twitter. Those who spend entirely too much time on Twitter, myself included, will be pleased to see the number of new features that will be added in version 4.3. The release notes along with screenshots for the new version were leaked in an apparent iOS 6 bug and sent to 9to5Mac.
- More interactive Tweet view experience: content previews, videos, images and more will now be shown within tweets containing links to “partner websites.”
- Tweets about “selected events” will now be highlighted. Twitter will curate the relevant tweets and images
- In the Connect tab, autocomplete improvements will be now be present. Twitter rolled out something similar to their official website last week.
- Major push notifications enhancement: You will now be able to choose to receive push notifications when certain people tweet
- Like in Tweetbot, you will now be able to receive unobtrusive Twitter notifications while you are using the app.
- The Discover tab will now be able to alert users when new content is ready for perusal
- Personalized Trends
- You will now be able to tap a user’s avatar to be taken to their profile page
- Improved performance
- You will now be able to manually input your password when having authentication issues
- Hungarian localization
- Finally: the new Twitter logo will be featured on the icon (our image below is from iOS 6 Twitter integration)
- Also promised is a slew of other tweaks, more polish, and bug fixes
No word on when it’s landing, but we’d assume very soon given the detailed release notes.