At TUAW, they’ve managed to get hold of someone from AT&T, and quiz them extensively about what the new data plans will mean, and how they’ll be implemented. Have a read over the entire thing, but here are some cliff notes:
- As long as your iPad is on auto-renew for data, you can keep the unlimited plan. Turn it off, and you’re stuck on the new service.
- Tethering is month to month, so you can turn it on or off as needed.
- There will be no data rollover.
- If you run out of data on the 200MB account, you can upgrade to the 2GB online, as long as it’s before the end of the current billing cycle.
- If you upgrade to a new iPhone and you’re currently unlimited, you won’t need to change to the new data plans.
If you’re curious about whether to change down to the 200MB plan, or even to the 2GB version, you can view your monthly data traffic from your online account management. Since I work from home and use Wi-Fi constantly, my usage is crazy low, so I might actually benefit from dropping down to the lower level.