The following is a complete guide on how to jailbreak your iPhone or iPad running iOS 5.1.1 using Absinthe 2.01 untethered jailbreak, thanks to the devs at Greenpois0n. While this might look to be a duanting process, don’t let the number of screenshots scare you. This process took all of five minutes to complete.
This is the list of compatible devices:
- iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S
- iPad, iPad 2, new iPad (third generation) – Note: Absinthe does not support the new iPad 2
You’ll need to download the latest version of Absinthe, currently version 2.0.1. This is available for either Mac or PC and instructions below shouldn’t differ, regardless of you desktop platform.
Absinthe v2.0.1 MacOSX (10.5, 10.6, 10.7)
Absinthe v2.0.1 Windows (XP/Vista/Win7)
Absinthe v2.0.1 Linux (x86/x86_64)
The first step is to backup your iPhone and all associated data. This step is so that the jailbreak tool has stock iOS software to work with and this will speed up the jailbreaking process. Make sure all of your photos are imported and backup by doing the following:
- Connect your iPhone to iTunes with USB cable
- Control-click (mac) or right-click (PC) on the iPhone in the left hand sidebar.
- Select ‘Back Up’
You’ll need to activate your iPhone before applying the jailbreak. I followed the quick set-up on my iPhone and did not restore my backup. Remember, we just erased the iPhone to keep it stock. Once activated, I disconnected the iPhone from my computer.
- Double-click on the Abinthe program.
- Connect your iPhone to your computer with the USB cable.
- Quit iTunes and iPhoto if they launch.
- Click on the Jailbreak button within Absinthe
Absinthe will now go through the process of jailbreaking your iPad or iPhone. Do not disconnect the USB cable until instructed.
Upon a successful jailbreak, you will see this message.
Open your iPhone and swipe left. You should see an icon for Cydia.
Congratulations! You’ve just completed the process! Have questions or need help? Hit up the experts in our Jailbreak forums or use our new Question and Answers section.