When Apple introduced iOS 6, the Phone app received upgraded features on how you can manage incoming calls. Life gets busy and sometimes you don’t have the time to answer a call. You could decline a call, but that leaves open the chance that you’ll forget to call back. Using call reminders on iPhone in iOS 6 can help remind you to return a call based on time or location.
A call comes in and you see the familiar ‘slide to answer’ that remains from the origins of iOS and the original iPhone. New in iOS 6 is a phone icon to the right. Swiping up will reveal a number of options, but we’re going to focus on setting up a call reminders.
If and when you select the option to ‘Remind Me Later’, this will decline the call. More importantly, you’ll be presented with options for when you would like to be reminded. The options are a combination of alternatives that include time and location based reminders. The first and only time based option is 1 hour. If selected the iPhone will remind you to call back the person who called in precisely one hour.
The other options may prove to be far more interesting, as they are location based.
- When I leave: When you leave your current location, you’ll receive a reminder. This is ideal for someone who is out at a business meeting, receives a call and would like a reminder to call the person back when they leave their current location.
- When I get home: This is pretty self-explanatory, but again very useful. A friend calls during work and this reminder will alert you when you arrive home.
- When I get to work: This will remind you to call back when you arrive at your place of employment. Similar to the option above, this is a common and useful option for most folks.
While I’ve detailed the options for using call reminders, a key piece of information regarding the location based reminders. The iPhone requires that your contact information provide both your home and work address.
How to identify yourself on your iPhone
Having contact information for yourself isn’t sufficient. Here’s how to identify yourself as the owner, so the iPhone knows which contact card to use.
- Navigate to Settings > Mail, Contacts & Calendars
- Tap on My Info
- Browse your contacts and tap your contact
Now your iPhone knows who you are, where you live and work.
In iOS 6, Apple provides an easy way to set up reminders to call back a friend, colleague or family member. By setting up your contact information, you can easily set up both time based or location based call reminders. By using this feature, you can safely decline calls without having to worry about forgetting to get back to them.