There are a number of reasons why you might want to restore your iPhone factory settings. If for some reason your iPhone isn’t working properly or maybe you are selling it. If you are away from your computer, it’s very easy to restore your iPhone to factory settings. Simply follow these steps. As a reminder, make sure that you have synced all of you data to your computer. Following these directions will restore your iPhone back to the way it was when you first cracked open the box. That means all of your data and personal information will be deleted.
With all the necessary warnings out the way, here’s how to restore your iPhone to factory settings without iTunes:
- Tap on ‘Settings’. If it’s on on your homescreen, swipe to the right and type the first few letters to find ‘Settings’
- Select ‘General’
- Scroll to the bottom where it says ‘Reset’
- You’ll be presented with a number of options. The nuclear option is to ‘Erase All Content and Settings’
- Your iPhone will remind you that you’ve selected ‘Erase iPhone’ and this will delete all media and data, and reset all settings.
- You’ll be asked if you “Are sure you want to continue? All media, data, and settings will be erased. This cannot be undone. If you are completely sure, select the big red button to ‘Erase iPhone’
That’s it, you’ve completely restored your iPhone to factory settings. With iOS 5, you can easily set-up your iPhone without iTunes. So even if you are on vacation, you can restore your iPhone to its factory settings and set it up, all without a computer.