Do you find yourself deleting music or avoiding taking video or photos to keep from bumping up against the storage capacity of your iPhone? Managing storage on your iPhone shouldn’t be a full time job. Have you downloaded apps that are rarely, if ever used? It’s easy to delete these apps and reclaim that space for music, books, photos, videos and more apps. There are a number of methods, so join us for this basic tutorial on how to delete apps on iPhone. The steps outlined will also work on other iOS devices including the iPad and iPod touch.
Deleting from the iPhone
If you are looking to free up storage space, you can easily check to see how many apps you have installed, the total storage used and storage that is available. Before deleting apps, it’s worth checking, so you can revel in the all of the increase storage you are going to create. You can find this information in Settings > General > About.
- On the iPhone, browse to the app or apps that you would like to delete.
- Press and hold down on the app until you see an ‘X’ above the icon.
- Tap on the ‘X’.
- You’ll see a warning that ‘Deleting “Name of app” will also delete all of its data.
- Click on ‘Delete’.
You can repeat this process for as many as you’d like to delete.
Tip: Unfortunately, Apple doesn’t allow you to delete the stock apps that come with the iPhone. That means this applications are safe from extinction.
- App Store
- Game Center
- Find My iPhone
Managing and removing apps using iTunes
The process above is great for deleting a few apps, but if you are looking to do a major housecleaning, there is a better method. Connect your iPhone to your Mac/PC using the supplied USB cable. If you have the sidebar view enabled View > Show Sidebar, then click on the iPhone. If your brave enough to embrace the new iTunes 11 interface, then you can find the iPhone icon in the top right.
- Below the Apple logo are tabs. Click on the ‘Apps’ tab.
- Here you’ll find a list of apps. iTunes offers you a few ways to delete apps from your iPhone.
- Click on the Remove button next to the app.
- To the right you’ll see apps as they appear on your iPhone. If you roll your mouse over an app, you’ll see an ‘X’, just like I explained earlier on the iPhone. Press that ‘X’ to remove the app.
Once your finished, press the Sync button at the bottom to complete the process.
Bonus Tip: Deleting apps does not remove them from your computer, iCloud or your iTunes account. It simply removes them from your iPhone.
There are a number of reasons why it makes sense to uninstall apps on your iPhone. It will free up storage space for media, more apps and software updates. It will also help de-clutter your iPhone. The App Store is always available should you need to reinstall them. So go ahead and give your iPhone a spring cleaning.