Cyan software is milking the Myst franchise for all its worth on iOS, having just released realMyst for the iPad 2 and new iPad. The $6.99 app is a port of the remake of the original from 2000, one that allows free-roaming in a 3D environment, rather than clicking through prerendered frames
While realMyst adds a new age and is much smoother to use than the original, it never fared as well as Myst classic, and Robyn Miller — the creator of the original — described it as:
“I only saw realMyst after it was released. As a remake, it was a lapse of reason and directionless; overt merchandising of the original Myst. It definitely wasn’t how we originally envisioned Myst, as was promoted.”
Here’s the full description:
realMYST for iPad 2 and the new iPad – LIMITED TIME INTRODUCTORY PRICE $6.99! Get it now before the price goes to $9.99.
This is not your father’s Myst. Experience Myst in a way that’s closer to real than you’ve ever imagined – in realtime 3D and up close and personal on your iPad 2 or newer. You’ve got to experience it to believe it!
realMyst is all-things Myst, but amazingly more real. You can explore anywhere, unfettered, and in realtime! Pick your own path through the forest on Myst Island. Look lazily upward into the Channelwood Age trees. Relax next to the rippling fountain as the sun sets in the Selenitic Age. Spin around for a full panoramic tour of Sirrus’ throne room. Seek shelter from the thunderstorm in Stoneship Age.
And what could possibly make that experience even more real? Now you can have all of that on your iPad* with nothing between you and Myst but the touch of your finger – the sheerest of interfaces between you and the surrealistic island adventure that will become your world.
• realMyst is for the iPad 2 and the new iPad
• All the original Myst Ages plus bonus Rime Age
• Full Myst gameplay and interaction
• Dynamic environments – rippling water, falling rain, waving trees
• Haunting Myst music score and dynamic 3D sounds
• Simple navigation – touch and hold to move, swipe to turn
• Advanced navigation – run, move backward, invert look, & more
• “Interaction Guides” demonstrate how to interact with objects
• Full Retina Display support on the new iPad
• “Bookmark” feature to save & restore progress
• Auto-save to insure you pick up where you left off
• realMyst Hint Guide – get past that one puzzle that’s got you stumped