The Calendars can prove to be incredibly useful. In addition to helping to organize your busy schedule, the app can also help remind you of birthdays of family, friends and those in your life who are important. All of the information is stored in iCloud, so you’ll have access from any of your iOS devices. By setting up birthdays in iCloud, you’ll never forget to send good wishes to the ones you love. We’ll show you how to enable the birthdays calendar, how to turn on Facebook birthdays and how to make edits in iOS 7.
How to show birthdays on iPad and iPhone calendar
First things first, let’s enable birthdays on your iOS device. To do so, open the Calendar app and follow these steps.
- Tap on the ‘Calendars’ link at the bottom middle.
- Scroll down to ‘Other’.
- Tap to the left of ‘Birthdays’ next to the gift icon. You should see a checkmark appear as shown below.
How to show Facebook friend birthdays on your iPhone and iPad
Apple now supports deep integration with many services including Facebook. One of the many benefits is being able to easily add birthdays of your Facebook friends. To do so, you must setup Facebook on your iOS device and here’s how:
- Navigate to Settings > Facebook.
- Login using your credentials, which is often the email address associated with your account and password.
- Double-click the home button to evoke multitasking and select the Calendar app.
- Tap on the ‘Calendars‘ link at the bottom middle.
- Scroll down to ‘Facebook‘.
- Tap to the left of ‘Birthdays‘ next to the gift icon. You should see a checkmark appear as shown below.
The advantage of using Facebook for birthdays is that you’ll likely see events populate your calendar quickly. The trouble here is that it’s dependent upon your friends entering their personal information and doing so correctly. That’s not a given. Plus, there may come a time when either you or a close friend leaves Facebook. Perish the thought, but it can and does happen. So, what’s a person to do? Control your data.
Earlier we showed you how to enable birthdays, but didn’t elaborate on how this information gets pulled. So how do you edit and update birthdays? It’s actually being pulled from the Contacts app.
- Navigate and open the ‘Contacts‘ app
- Tap to open a contact. If birthday information exists, it will appear on your contact card.
- If it does not exist or the information is incorrect, tap on the ‘Edit‘ button at the top right.
- Scroll down and tap on the green ‘+’ where it says, ‘add birthday’.
- Enter the month, day and year. Press Done.
If you go back into your calendar, the newly added birthday will appear and will repeat each and every year. Since it’s saved to iCloud, you’ll receive notifications on your iPhone, iPad and your Mac.
Tip: If you have created a birthday manually, it will appear twice. Apple recommends using the method outlined above which utilizes the Contacts app. It’s more efficient, less taxing on the resources of the Calendar app and it provides you with their age. You cannot edit birthdays in the Calendar app if they were setup using this method. All edits need to happen in the Contacts app. Once you’ve converted all of your birthdays to Contacts, go ahead and delete the manual entries.
We typically think of a Calendar app as something for work or a necessity for managing a busy personal life. It can be those things, but it also has the added benefit of reminding you of birthdays for people who are close to you. Setting up birthdays using iCloud is easy and you only have to do it once. Sometimes a reminder allows you time to send a gift, a text with best wishes or an old fashioned phone call to wish someone a very happy birthday.