Simpsons: Tapped Out is a new, free game from EA that looks for all the world like a version of SimCity or Farmville with a Springfield skin on top. Apparently, Homer Simpson accidentally burns down the city during a nuclear meltdown, and it’s up to you to rebuild it. Now, let’s not even get into the weird timing of releasing this game almost exactly a year after the Fukushima disaster in Japan, or why it’s called “Tapped Out”, and instead bask in the knowledge that they actually got the real Simpsons writers and animators to work on this app, so it should be at least vaguely funny.
Since the app is free, it’s not surprising that there are in-app purchases, this time in the form of donuts, which are apparently the currency of choice in Springfield.
Here’s the full app description:
THIS GAME IS LIFE-RUININGLY FUN! Homer accidently caused a meltdown that wiped out Springfield. D’OH! Now, it’s up to you to rebuild it! From the writers of The Simpsons, tap into a city building game that lets you create your own living, breathing Springfield… for FREE.
HOW FUN IS IT? LET US COUNT THE WAYS!
1. First, you can get it for free!
2. Make Springfield just like you want it.
3. Help Homer find Marge, Bart and the rest of his family and friends! (Ned Flanders, too.)
4. Complete tasks to earn… mmm, donuts!
5. Make Apu work ridiculously long shifts at Kwik-E-Mart.
6. Grow and harvest Tomacco on Cletus’s Farm.
7. Party down with Duffman at Duff Brewery.
8. See how your Indolence, Consumerism, Gluttony stack up on the Conform-o-meter.
9. Enjoy exclusive, never-before-seen animated scenes sure to please fans of TV’s longest-running comedy.
10. Visit your friends’ Springfields, play pranks, and collect cash.
11. And did we mention… it’s free to play?
IS THAT ALL? Of course not! But who wants to read all this text on an iPhone screen? So you should CHECK OUT THE SCREENSHOTS because the screenshots really sell it… even though we really don’t have to sell this game… because it’s FREE!
– Play on iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPad, iPad 2, iPod touch 3 (3rd generation) or iPod touch (4th generation).
– You must have an Internet connection to play, so please make sure your device is connected.