As recently rumored, Apple has unveiled a new app specifically for Podcasts, called — originally enough — Podcasts. Available for both iPhone and iPad, it’s billed as a better way to organize and discover podcasts on iOS. The look and feel are substantially overhauled from podcasts in iTunes, and in keeping with Apple’s recent turn towards skeuomorphic design, it’s filled with dials and sliders mimicking IRL stereo equipment.
As of this time, we haven’t had time to play with it and see if it’s any good, but here’s hoping that it stands up well as an app on its own.
Here’s the full description:
Podcasts app is the easiest way to discover, subscribe to and play your favorite podcasts on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Explore hundreds of thousands of free audio and video podcasts from the Podcasts Catalog, and play the most popular podcasts, organized for you by topic, with the all-new Top Stations feature.
• Enjoy all of your audio and video podcasts in a single app
• Explore hundreds of thousands of podcasts including shows in over 40 languages
• Try the innovative new Top Stations feature to find new podcast series in a variety of topics, including arts, business, comedy, music, news, sports, and more.
• Browse by Audio or Video podcasts, or see what’s most popular in Top Charts
• Tap subscribe for your favorites and automatically receive new episodes for free as they become available
• Stream episodes or download to listen while offline
• Skip forward and back using simple playback controls
• Turn on Sleep Timer to automatically stop playing a podcast while listening in bed
• Share your favorite episodes with friends using Twitter, Messages and Mail
• Optionally sync your favorite episodes from iTunes on your Mac or PC
• Sync your episode playback for seamless transition between devices
• Requires a device with iOS 5.1 or later
• Optionally syncing episodes requires iTunes 10.6.3 or later
• Streaming or downloading episodes requires internet access over a Wi-Fi or cellular data connection
You can download the new Podcasts app from the App Store.