Apple has released its annual “Best Of” list for iTunes in 2012, and this year it seems to be missing the big name titles that have dominated in years prior. The Best of 2012 covers Music, Movies, TV shows, Podcasts, Books, and (naturally) Apps for both the iPhone and iPad. Last year, the “Best App” awards went to Instagram, Snapseed and “Best Game” to Tiny Tower, and Deadspace. This year, those same awards went to Action Movie FX, Paper by 53, and Rayman Jungle Run and the Room. Not exactly big name items, though not to be scoffed at.
What do you think — did these apps deserve to win? Or were there obviously better choices that fell by the wayside? What are your picks for “Best Of” for the year?
Here’s a full list of all the winners, courtesy of the Next Web, because I don’t feel like copying and pasting all those links myself:
Editor’s Choice iPhoneEditor’s Choice iPad
- Best Artist: Frank Ocean
- Best Album: Shields by Grizzly Bear
- Best Song: We are Young by Fun. and Janelle Monae
- Breakthrough Album: The Lumineers
- Best Blockbuster: The Avengers
- Best Director: Wes Anderson for Moonrise Kingdom
- Best Discovery: Beasts of the Southern Wild
- Best Star-Making Performance: Jennifer Lawrence in Hunger Games
- Best Show: Breaking Bad
- Best Episode: Homeland – The Weekend
- Best Debut: Girls
- Best Cast: Happy Endings